- 1 1799 - John Fries raises opposition to federal property tax created in 1798 in anticipation of war with France.
- 2 1905 - Ayn Rand born.
- 4 1861 - Confederate States of America organized at first session of the Provisional Confederate Congress.
- 10 - Gun Owner Day makes honest, decent, honorable gun owners visible.
- 11 1768 - Samuel Adams distributes letter denying Parliament has power of taxation, in response to Townshend Acts.
- 15 1791 - Thomas Jefferson argues against National Bank.
- 16 1878 - U.S. silver dollar coin introduced.
- 17 1922 - Second annual "Tax Freedom Day."
- 18 1765 - North Carolina people form association opposing Stamp Act.
- 19 1808 - Lysander Spooner born.
- 21 1765 - North Carolinans force court and customs officials to swear oaths not to enforce Stamp Act.
Comment on this article
View all comments on this article
Did you like this article?
Please consider rewarding the author's
hard work with a donation.