- 1 - Happy New Year!
- 6 - 1861 City Mayor Fernando Wood proposes that New York become an independent entity trading with both the North and South, if the Union dissolves.
- 7 - 1995 Murray N. Rothbard dies.
- 12 - 1729 Edmund Burke born.
- 13 - 1957 First Frisbee produced.
- 14 - 1784 America wins revolution against England.
- 17 - 1706 Benjamin Franklin born.
- 18 - 1808 Lysander Spooner born.
- 20 - 1918 In Russia, Bolsheviks confiscate church property, religious instruction in schools banned.
- 22 - 1912 Henry Morrison Flagler's privately financed rail connection between Key West and mainland Florida is completed.
- 24 - 1848 Gold is discovered in California.
- 28 - 1791 Hamilton issues Mint report to Congress defining dollar as 375.25 grains of fine silver. Now the US is on a fairy-dust-and-wishful-thinking standard.
- 29 - 1737 Thomas Paine born.
- 30 - 1934 Government coup seizes title to American gold. Private possession of stable hard currency becomes a crime.
- 31 - 1902 The first "Tax Freedom Day" (the last day in a year which Americans must work solely to pay taxes). I think it's in June now.
Comment on this article
View all comments on this article
Did you like this article?
Please consider rewarding the author's
hard work with a donation.